Friday, April 1, 2011

O My Hurry Hurry!

One evening a couple of years ago, I was sitting in the living room watching TV.  My husband was in the den fully engaged with something on the computer and my daughter was in her room doing homework, well that is what she was told to do.  As I sat there watching TV, I heard a huge thud on the large picture window, which was right behind my head. My first thought was, 'That was a huge bird.'  Then I thought it was a bat but it was the middle of winter no way would a bat be out now.  I then settled on an owl.  That had to be it.  It was a big thunk certainly as big as a very large owl.  I got up to satisfy my curiosity.  And to administer any kind of help I could give to that poor, poor little creature.

I flipped on the porch light.  I immediately noticed the porch was illuminated but the door area was dark.  Dang maybe one of the light burned out, no bother, for now my attention was on the little owl. I ran around the couch and over to the big window.  I looked out but I didn't see it.  I looked and looked but nothing was out there.  That seemed impossible to me.  That owl hit that window so hard it made me think the glass could have shattered or it could have been knocked out.  Maybe it was under the wicker couch on the porch....it had to be.  While looking for the bird I saw that the light near the door had not burned out.  It was as bright as the other two lights that was shining on the porch.  Weird!

I decided to go on the porch and check under the couch.  Not only was it cold we still had snow on the ground.  That little creature would freeze to death if left out there.  I ran around the couch again to the door.  All of a sudden I noticed the door was still dark.  What the heck?  I leaned back to view the picture window.... lights were on but yet the door was dark.  My dogs were GOING crazy.  I leaned into the beveled glass to try to see what the problem was.  All I saw was my dog's hair reflecting in the glass.  I decided I would deal with the light issue as soon as I got the bird taken care of.  I turned the lock on the door knob and preceded to open the door when all of a sudden this huge shadow moved and light started pouring in the front door's beveled window. OMG what just happened?  I left the door shut and ran to the front window again.  And there it was!  No, not a bat nor a bird not even an owl,  it was a huge black BEAR!!!!!!!!!!  And it wanted in my house!  More precisely, it wanted me!  I ran to the den shouting BEAR! BEAR! BEAR! my husband was still so involved working on the computer that he never even looked up...."okay" is all he said.   UGH!  I ran back to the porch window.  The bear was now standing straight up and looking at me...ME!  I screamed BEAR! BEAR! BEAR! and ran to get my daughter.  She was all involved in her 'homework' which was really a computer game and her response was "okay mom in a minute".  I ran back to the window.  I did not see it anywhere but I did noticed the door was dark again.  I ran to it, all the while screaming BEAR BEAR BEAR  THERE IS A BEAR ON THE PORCH.  OH MY HURRY HURRY HONEY!.... no one responded.  I checked out the beveled door's window.  OMG that was not the dog's hair reflected in the glass.  IT WAS  THE BEAR'S HAIR AND HE IS TRYING TO TEAR THE DOOR DOWN!   Now I am screaming so loud even my dogs can't compete and they head for the bedroom with tails tucked.  I look out the window again...bear is on the move...to the BACK YARD!  I have a doggie door.  It is not big enough for the "BEAR" to get in but its head or paw could get in.  I run to get the dog door cover located behind my husband's chair and slide it into place. 

It was about then my hubby looks up and says, "What are you doing?"  I scream "A BEAR,  A BEAR IS TRYING TO GET IN THE HOUSE!"  "What?", he says with a dazed and confused look on his face.  Then it hit him and he sprang into action.  He ran to the front window and said, "There is no bear out there."  "I know!", I said, "It went around the back!"  He runs to the back and opens .....THE DOOR!  I run for the bedroom with the dogs.  Along the way I pass my daughter in the hall and yell, "A BEAR!".   After what seems like at least 15 minutes all was calm and I came back out.  There was no bear anywhere.  I guess he went to our neighbors.  Daughter was back in her room and hubby was back working on the computer.  They were not impressed.  The dogs were still in hiding under the covers and I was left with an exciting memory of an owl, I mean "BEAR!" 

Who knew that bears wake up early around here? 

Oh! and the next morning I saw the big old paw print that he smacked the window with.  It was at the same height as my head would have been sitting in the chair!!!  Thank God for thick glass.

And if anyone is interested, we have a fly through feeder that is advertised as BEAR proof.  It is made of steel and very heavy.  And best of all it is on sale right now.  I think it might work on your bear problems.... that is if you have any.  

Until next week,
Ruth
www.thebirdhousecloudcroft.blogspot.com
www.cloudcroftwebcam.com/beta

No comments:

Post a Comment