Thursday, April 28, 2011

Raven part deux

Around the first year I lived here, I was seeing things that this city girl was never exposed to.  For example,  mountain lions,  bears, and horny toad lizards were just a few of  the unusual things I was privy to see.  Each time I saw something new, I would call my husband and tell him my experience with my new discovery. It was not until I started seeing things that were not normally in this area that my husband started to doubt my sanity.

 One day on the way to work, I swear I saw a wolf.  Husband said it was a coyote.  I said I know the difference between a wolf and a coyote.  He said I was wrong and went on back to what he was doing.  A few months later a news cast mentioned that the Mexican Gray Wolf had been spotted in the south central area of New Mexico.

Next, I was going down to Walmart and saw a roadrunner by the ski area.  Called husband again to tell him what I saw.  He said at 9,000 ft in the winter, no less, you would not find a roadrunner.  But yet there was that dang roadrunner crossing the highway.  I was determined to prove to my husband I was not going crazy.  I followed the car in front of me all the way down to Alamogordo.  I followed him until he parked in the parking lot of Wal-Mart.  I jumped out of my car, rushed him and asked him if he saw what I think I saw crossing the hwy at the ski area.   He asked,  "You mean that Roadrunner?"  "Hold it right there.", I said.  I quickly called husband and said "Hold on I have someone here that saw the same thing I saw"  I asked the poor fellow that I  had just accosted to tell my husband, who thinks I am going crazy, what he saw.  The poor fellow was so nice he says "Hello?".  For a minute there,  I think he thought I was crazy too.  He did tell husband that yes in deed there was a roadrunner at the ski area.  Then he gave me my phone back and backed away.  He did not turn his back to me until 20 ft. before the automatic doors.  Yep, I think it is safe to say he thought I was crazy too.

Then one day, I was headed to Alamogordo again.  I got to the bottom of the hill and noticed a junk shop.  You know the kind, junk everywhere and everything for sale.  I was walking up to the door and noticed a dog.  I leaned over to pat him and heard..."Hello"  " Whatca gona buy?" I look around and see NO ONE but the dog.  The dog was just laying in the sun.  His tail wagging and tongue hanging out.  DANG! maybe I am going crazy.  About that time, I heard, "Go on in."  This time I really start to look around. I am looking for anyone, for a speaker system or one of those rock speakers....you know the kind they put around the pool to deliver music to all that are swimming. NOTHING!  I slowly go inside.  All at once I notice a bird, a BIG bird.  It was a crow.  The biggest crow on the face of the earth.  I get inside and decide to take my chances.  I ask the guy inside if he knew he had a talking crow....A BIG TALKING CROW.  He said yes but it was not a crow.  He tells me it is a Common Raven.  Turns out he found it years ago when it fell out of its nest.  He could not bare to leave it to the elements so he brought it home and raised it.  Somewhere along the way it started to pick up words.  He said it knew about 50 plus word to date.  I thought, OH BOY, what will husband think of this?

I decided to not say anything until I got home.  I later told husband, "A Raven spoke to me today."  Man oh Man, that was it for him.  He thought I really had lost my mind.  I explained the whole thing.  To this day, I am not sure he believed me.  And after that, I decided to not tell him my further discoveries. 

Who knew a Raven could speak? NOT THIS CITY GIRL!

This week in the store we are running a special on Hummingbird Feeders!  We have a large selection at this time.  From hand blown glass to plastic feeders, you can be sure you will find what you are looking for.And if you are lucky you might catch a glimpse of the Raven that hangs out in our bird tree.

Until next week
Ruth
Store Manager

www.thebirdhousecloudcroft.blogspot.com
www.cloudcroftwebcam.com/beta

No comments:

Post a Comment